Wonder Wednesday 113!
Winter Solstice 2021 is December 21, technically at 10:59 am in the Northern Hemisphere. How will you celebrate - perhaps with some snowflakes!
These are based off the traditional Nordic style design and are sometimes even made from bent wood. The wooden ones are especially pretty when they are designed to safely hold a little light inside.
Although these papers snowflakes can't hold a light, they look great in a super sunny window or casting beautiful shadows under a house light.
- Paper Strips - 20 equally wide and long strips are needed for each snowflake. I used 9x12 inch sheets of paper. My strips were 1/2 inch wide x 12 inches long. You can make them any size or length you want!
- Scissors or a paper cutter to cut your strips.
- A ruler to measure your strips if you are using scissors.
- Glue or double stick tape (I used the tape for ease)
- Optional - string to hang, other strips in various materials, glue gun, glitter, various colored papers, paper clips, and anything else you want to adorn your snowflakes with!
- Cut your 20 strips for each snowflake - each side of the snowflake needs 10 strips (5 strips x 5 strips woven together)
- Optional - I pre-cut some pieces of tape
- If you are using glue stick, depending on the thickness and curliness of your paper, you may want paper clips to hold your strips together while the glue dries.
- Check out this tutorial video I made for you!
- Add a string to hang, and even glitter or anything sparkly!
- Make snowflakes out of anything around you that is strip-like!
Where will you hang your solstice snowflakes?
Share in the Comments below!
Share your snowflake photos on Instagram #wingswormsandwonder
Seeds to Sprout:
More Solstice Projects!
There are 9 other winter Solstice projects awaiting you on the blog!
From easy candle making to nature cards and stone wraps there is a fun project for all ages and skill levels!
Books for Everyone!
Wings, Worms, and Wonder now has a book of nature inspired creative connecting for every age human!
These books make incredible gifts all year long!
*Wonder & Wander: 0-5
*Wings, Worms, and Wonder: 6-12
*Draw Yourself Back to Nature: 13+
*12 Month Art & Nature Journal: 9+
More Nature Inspired Gifts!
Fabric, Pillows, Pouches, stickers, journals and lots more...
Winter Gifting Galore with Wings, Worms, and Wonder!
There is a unique hand illustrated gift for almost everyone on your winter holiday shopping list in one of the Wings, Worms, and Wonder shops!!
Shop: Spoonflower, Society 6, Etsy, Amazon, & more!